At Natural Touch Massage we offer two approaches to bodywork: Sport/Remedial massage and holistic massage. They are both branches of hands-on (or manual) therapy and they both use intentional touch as the primary therapeutic tool.
So, in which aspects exactly are Sport/Remedial and Holistic massage different? Most of the answers to this question are enclosed in their definitions:
- SPORT/REMEDIAL MASSAGE: Sport/Remedial massage is the systematic assessment and treatment of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues of the body to assist in rehabilitation, pain and injury management. Remedial massage is designed to balance muscle/soft tissue length, tension, tone which will in turn promote the return to normal joint/capsular/bone position.
- HOLISTIC MASSAGE: Holistic massage therapy is a typology of bodywork designed to involve an individual’s whole being – physical, mental and emotional. It holds the possibility of reintegration, is person-centred and is guided by principles of sensitivity, awareness and quality of touch. These enable the holistic massage therapist to work with clients, applying techniques and skills in an appropriate manner.
At this stage, the most spontaneous question is ‘which one would be the most suitable treatment for me?’ The following guidelines will provide you with more clarity for an optimal choice:
REASONS FOR CHOOSING SPORT MASSAGE:
- Recovery from injury
- Improving restriction of movement in a limb/spine
- Improving the consequence of poor posture
- Preparation for a sport event
- Relief from symptoms of a musculoskeletal condition i.e osteoarthritis
- Relief from acute pain conditions
REASONS FOR CHOOSING HOLISTIC MASSAGE:
- Relief from stress and nervousness
- Relief from chronic pain caused by long standing emotional tension
- Improvement in mood and energy levels
Whatever you choose, we will work with you individually to make sure you get what you need.